Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Be prepared! For this is a love story...

I get the freedom I need getting from A to B... No grouchy faces, no pushy people, no stare bears, no smelly morning breaths in my face, no little jerky kids shoving each other into me, just me and my bike and the fresh wind in my face.

My dad has an oldtimer sailboat and as a kid we used to go to Kiel (city by the coast of northern germany) for weeks at a time to be with this boat. I remember riding my bike in the harbours parking lot for hours on end. Just riding circles around and around and around aand aaaround aaand arouuuuund. 

It was the. best. feeling. in. the. WORLD!!!

I still have that same feeling. Every morning when I get up and get on my bike, my spirits lift up. I turn my pedals and I move forward! What an amazing invention.  

(Bicycle--Vehicles for human transport that have two wheels and require balancing by the rider date back to the early 19th century. The first means of transport making use of two wheels arranged consecutively, and thus the archetype of the bicycle, was the German draisine dating back to 1817. The term bicycle was coined in France in the 1860s. -Thanks Wiki)

I use my bike to comute, every day, all year around, rain or shine (exception: streets covered in ice) I ride about 26 km a day/average. It gets my heart pumping, my blood flowing and my brain awake and ready for the day! Oh and...Ahem... perk number one? I really don't need to worry about burning calories (that means EAT without counting calories... ... ... I might be in trouuuuuble!!) 

It is the best way to see the city, no hustling to the next bus with the chance of missing it, no paying for public transport, no polluting of the world, like I've said, just me on my bike getting that butt that I'm dreaming of...

Now, some might say it is dangerous. It can be, I don't deny it... With those grannies on their cadillac bike in snail speed, you over take them and yet at the red light while you wait, they over take you with their head held high, so proud that they made it past you again (by breaking the law thank you very much) or the cars that turn right while you go straight and they don't watch out for you, the slippery streets when it rains, the kid that might jump in front of you out of nowhere! Yes, it can be dangerous. 

BUT... in all seriousness, when the sun is shining and I get outside, I ride through a park, hear the birds chirping, the leaves rustling, the dogs running around, feel the wind around my nose...all I can do is smile. how lucky am I? Yes, also in the rain (with rain clothes on, otherwise its not as much of a party) I feel connected to mother nature, feeling my face get wet and the nice fresh chill going down my spine ... and this in BERLIN! a big city! 
Must I say more?

Thank you Baron Karl von Drais! You have given me one of my biggest joys in life.

Now... get out there, where ever you are and take a ride, I'm telling you, it will feel as if you are a kid again and what more do we want?

One last thing, before you get out there and get in touch with your inner child, eat some carbs (see recipe below) you might get hungry by burning all those calories!

Giggles!





Funtastic Risotto!
Ingredients:
  • 500g risotto rice
  • 2 big fresh fennel (can substitute with asparagus, mushrooms, spinach) use entire fennel, also the green bits (yum)
  • 1 medium Onion
  • 3 Cloves fresh garlic
  • 2 Cups organic no salt added Vegetable broth (if you have it in cube form, pour boiling water over to  liquify)
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 2 tsp Ghee/Coconut oil
  • 1tsp butter (optional)
  • 2 TBSP fresh lemon juice 
  • 1/2 cup grated Aged Cheese (i.e. parmesan (optional))
  • Fresh Chives and parsley for garnish
  • salt and pepper


What to do:
1. Turn on element to medium, add Ghee/Coconut Oil. Wait for it to melt
2. add chopped onions and garlic, stir (you don't want the garlic to turn brown) 
3. add the rice, stir stir stir for about 30 seconds. 
4. add some of the broth, keep stirring (this is key, you don't want the rice to stick to the pan) until the water has evaporated, 
5. add the white wine. Keep stirring, after about five minutes 
6. add the chopped fennel (or any other veggie option), keep adding broth and stir when sticking to the pan. 
7. add some salt, black pepper (to taste). 
8. after about 15 mins, add the lemon juice and cheese (if you opted for this version). keep stirring and keep adding broth. 

taste the rice, it shouldn't be hard but also not soggy. It depends on how much water you put in at the beginning but mine normally takes about 20-25 minutes, have a taste, 

9. add a tsp of butter (optional) let melt. garnish with chives/parsley or both. 

This is an extra extra large portion, so stuff your face, enjoy with friends and keep enough for lunch tomorrow!

Guten Appetit!  




2 comments:

  1. OMG Gawd. This is totes amazeballs. You'll have to make this for me next time. Thanks.

    Oh and your freedom via bike? I like to ride. Fixed gear. No brakes. Can't stop. Don't want to, either.

    Dangerous? Just runnin' reds and killin' peds, bro. Premium Rush baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bicycles are the best, sometimes I imagine that my legs are pistons. When I go up hills I sing "what goes up, must come down. Spinning wheels have got to go round". It has a good cadence for chugging up a hill. But that is a rare thing in Berlin.

    ReplyDelete

hit me with your best shot! fire aaawaaaaaay: