Saturday, May 11, 2013

lets get real


I have been working in various hospitals all over Berlin for a year and a half now and have met amazing people in all shapes, all ages and all motivation levels. The key thing that I find most important to living a healthy long life is nutrition and exercise. nothing new, right? 
so why doesn't every one aspire to it?

I have noticed, that a lot of people are either in denial or unknowing about their role in their health... it really shocks me, still. 
Just the other day I spoke to my patient about his gout 

(Gout (also known as podagra when it involves the big toe)[1] is a medical condition usually characterized by recurrent attacks of acute inflammatory arthritis—a red, tender, hot, swollen joint. The metatarsal-phalangeal joint at the base of the big toe is the most commonly affected (approximately 50% of cases). However, it may also present as tophikidney stones, or urate nephropathy. It is caused by elevated levels of uric acid in theblood. The uric acid crystallizes, and the crystals deposit in joints, tendons, and surrounding tissues
- thanks wiki)

I was telling him, that it is crucial he reduces his meat intake and alcohol (gout is usually provoked by the combination of medication, red meat and alcohol consumption) unfortunately he can't stop taking his medication until he loses weight and gets his overall health back on track, but he CAN cut out meat and begin to exercise. He then in turn was going on about how he eats very little meat and going as far as saying he doesn't even like meat... I was surprised, because I had seen his meal plan (which the patients choose themselves from three categories)

1. meat 2. no pork 3. vegetarian-- and I saw that he had made a check-mark at number 1. for every single meal (the room also smelled like salami at the time)!

It is of no use to me, if he doesn't eat any meat, so why was he lying? If he loves to eat meat and accepts the gout, who cares? It's his life, why not stand by the choices he makes? 

I run into a variation of this situation almost daily.

I've changed my lifestyle radically from all these experiences- they made me more aware. Am I really as healthy as I think I am? I was never a huge meat eater, I was vegetarian in my teens for a few years and then back and forth and now I am a committed healthy eater. what does that mean? I don't eat poultry, red meat or pork. I do eat fish once/twice a month and other than that I eat plants. Mhmhmh. Oh, I do eat dairy in form of cheese sometimes... 

my point not being how you should eat (you make your own choices anyways), my point being--look at yourself, in all honesty, and be aware of what you do with your body because in the end, we live as well as our bodies feel


and now... it's SATURDAY! go out and play :) check out the saturday smoothie I made myself today mhm yum yums.




Need: a blender

1 medium banana
Frozen berries
orange juice
mint leaves
bee pollen

blend it all together until smooth and sprinkle the bee pollen over top!

Guten Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit me with your best shot! fire aaawaaaaaay: