Thursday, June 13, 2013

can ya stomach it?

For most of my life I have had digestive problems. Constipation, bloating, can't eat this- can't eat that, abdominal pain... And let me tell you, it aint fun.

About two years ago I was quite stressed out and my stomach/intestine started to flair up again massively and I gave it all of my attention- I went to the doctor about once a week saying something must be wrong with me, that lead into anxiety attacks thinking I have some serious illness. They checked my blood, did an ulta sound, took a stomach biopsy, stool sample, checked me on celiacs disease and so forth. I do have a lactose intolerance (but its not so bad yet) and all other tests came back negative. Yes, that is positive news but to me it was a little upsetting because that meant I didn't know how to fix it.... I went to two doctors to get two different opinions and one said I had a 'nervous stomach' and the other said I had 'Irritable bowl/stomach syndrom'.

I read up on it and its basically 6 months on and off of all the symptoms means you have irritable bowl syndrom. Nausea, bloating, flatulence, diarrhoea  constipation, abdominal pain, you name it. Researchers don't know what it is that makes these symptoms appear, but some think that the nerves inside the intestinal tract are more sensitive, which means that normal digestion can cause pain, bloating etc. It is greatly discomforting but doesn't lead to any harmful deseases.

I suffer from it pretty badly. When ever the weather changes, I have more stomach issues. When I eat 'whatever' I have stomach issues, when I am stressed out I have stomach issues, when I am travelling I have stomach issues. I'm sure you can see the pattern here.

The biggest struggle for me is to accept that I am a complicated eater. I hate going to a restaurant and looking at the menue and in my mind throwing out half of the items on there knowing 'that will give me cramps, that will make me bloat, that will that will that will'.

The doctors have said to keep a food diary and I have started before, and given up, it is a real hassle writing down EVERYTHING you eat and how you feel an hour afterwards but.. hey. I am starting one again. Make the right choices and feel better. YES!

This is something that I am able to eat with very little stomach issues after!


Peanut Stir fry

Any kind of veggies
Brown rice
2 Sweet Potatoes
2 cloves garlic
1/2 thumb size fresh ginger
2 tblsp no salt organic peanut butter
1/2 can coconut milk
1 tblsp reduced sodium soy sauce
pepper to taste

  • Cook the rice
  • Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them however you want and throw them in the oven (I cut mine too thin, they burnt around the edges a bit) on about 220 celsius
STIR FRY:
  • 1 tsp coconut oil in a pan, when hot, add ginger and garlic (don't let it get brown!!!) then after 2 min add the veggies
  • when the veggies are slightly softened add half the can of coconut milk
  • get it nice and hot
  • add peanut butter, soy sauce and pepper
Guten Appetit! 

1 comment:

  1. Frederick Treves14/6/13

    Poor you! But very good that you're starting the diary again... Wonder if it's just one kind of food that's causing all that...

    ReplyDelete

hit me with your best shot! fire aaawaaaaaay: