Friday, July 26, 2013

travelling laaaady

I went sailing for a week (it was absolutely amazeballs- just what I needed to start my 4 weeks holiday off) and then my Husband and I went to Rome for 5 days. WHAT. A. CITY. Just unbelievable! The history, the streets! the people, it was a seriously fun trip!!! We walked so much I don't think I have ever walked so much in 5 days in my entire life!!!

Italy is a real treat, I just absolutely love it. I was, however, a little frustrated with the food situation over there. I do like pasta, I do like Pizza, I do like gnocchi, I do like chocolate croissants, tiramisu, ice cream aaand so forth BUT what do they all have in common? 
Wheat. Gluten. Cream. Oil. =Stomach upsets
SOOOO... I did have the time of my life but I am glad that I am home now where I can make myself some RICE and vegetables! Without cream, without wheat, with less oil, just back to basics... 

I am leaving for Singapore tomorrow (yes. I know. lucky lady right here) and so I have been thinking about what to do about food. The fast food places at the airports hurt my eyes and the thought of one more sandwich or slice of pizza makes me want to scream at the top of my lungs. SO, whoever is reading this and has some sort of power, PLEASE. PLEASE. Open up a chain of healthy fast food restaurants AT AIRPORTS. Its JUST as simple as making a sandwich, I promise!!!

I find it so surprising that there are no alternatives, I mean yes, you get a salad anywhere but seriously, who gets full on a handful of iceberg lettuce, three mini tomatoes, some corn and some cheese for 4,50 Euro? No, of course you go buy that slice of pizza for 3 Euro. But its all twisted around, can you see that? If a salad was 3 Euro more people would buy it and that would make THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE.... hurhur. I am serious though, I was so sad at the airport yesterday!

what to do? 
I think the word I'm looking for is: 
P R E P A R A T I O N 

I made myself a brown rice beetroot salad for my trip tomorrow! I made some awesome amazing delicious granola bars (see below for recipe, they are SO SO good. no, seriously. SO good.) I bought some rice crackers, will make myself some raw-mango-coconut-cashew-balls to snack on and I am ready to go, F you airport fast food, I can live without you!
(I did however order a special meal on the plane... but hopefully my food is enough for my belly!) 

Singapore- with all your wonderful rice dishes and fresh food, I am SO ready for you!

Super-delicious-cake-like Granola Bars!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped (or any other nut)
1 cup dates, chopped (or any other dried fruit)
1 cup coconut flakes
1/4 cup sesame seeds
2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3 ripe bananas
1/4 cup sunflower oil (or coconut, olive, walnut…)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. maple syrup
2 Tbsp. chia seeds
6 Tbsp. water

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a small bowl, mix the chia seeds and water together. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients.
4. In a food processor or blender, mix bananas, oil, vanilla, and maple syrup (you can also just mash everything together with a fork). Add chia gel and pulse to mix. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
5. Spread the batter evenly into a baking pan (mine was 9″ x 11″), and smooth out the top with the back of a spatula. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Let cool completely, store in airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for longer shelf life. 
-Thanks to mynewroots.com
Guten Appetit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit me with your best shot! fire aaawaaaaaay: